Thursday, July 14, 2011

popovers

I feel like I haven't blogged about anything in forever! I made popovers for breakfast this morning. And I took pictures. Not good ones, but I took pictures nonetheless. And they were yummy! Not the pics, the popovers. So I thought I'd share.


I like popovers because they are insanely easy to make. Just dump all the ingredients in a blender and press a button. The hardest part is waiting for them to bake for 40 minutes. That's probably why I don't make them more often. When we're hungry for breakfast, we're hungry now!

I had planned on splitting them open, filling them with fruit salad and eating them with strawberry sauce. But we ate the fruit salad while waiting for the popovers to cook. So we had them with strawberry sauce and maple syrup. Super delicious.


This is a recipe that I adapted from Alton Brown to make it a bit sweeter. But you could totally omit the sugar and vanilla, add herbs or whatever, fill that popover with chicken salad and call that lunch. Oh man that sounds good. That'll be lunch soon!

Sweet Popovers
recipe adapted from Alton Brown via FoodNetwork

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus 1 teaspoon room temperature for pan
4 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1 cup
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tbsp sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Grease a 6-cup popover pan with the 1 teaspoon of butter.

Place all of the ingredients into a blender and process for 30 seconds. Divide the batter evenly between the cups of the popover pan, each should be about 1/3 to 1/2 full. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 40 minutes. Remove the popovers to a cooling rack and pierce each in the top with a knife to allow steam to escape. Serve warm.


This is the part of the popover that I like the most. It kinda reminds me of a honey crueler. Delicious!

7 comments:

  1. They look so delicious. I will try to do them.
    4 3/4 ounces?? Hope that I will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just measure 1 cup of flour... never failed me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love popovers -- thanks for the recipe. My favorite way to enjoy them is with some homemade apple butter. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh..I so love popovers, so simple, yet such a dramatic rise and presentation! Yours look phenomenal, the photos are killer, as in, if I don't make some soon, I'll die from craving them via looking at your gorgeous photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Those look really delicious! I was about to try them myself, but I just got stuck at the cooking temperature, which I presume is not the same with the one for the preheated oven. Some help, please! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I improvised a little with the temperature and they came out great. Have a look: http://bucatariacaseinoastre.blogspot.com/2011/08/clopotei-cu-frisca.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. HEY! Try mine at http://teenage-baking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(