Sunday, July 31, 2011

orange olive oil bundt

After two consecutive pies on the Baked Sunday Mornings baking calendar, I was so excited for this Orange Olive Oil Bundt. Cake, finally! And it's in the breakfast section of the book. Score. I love cake for breakfast!


And that's exactly when I served it. Topped with yogurt and with orange supremes on the side. Unfortunately, this cake fell short for me. It's probably my fault, as I think I baked it a minute or two too long. It was weird. It was moist, but dry at the same time... Can that actually happen? To me, the flavor was so-so. My husband like it alot, (although he thought it was a lemon flavored cake) and ate pretty much the rest of it.


Not much to this recipe, but in true Baked form, we dirtied a mountain of dishes, beating the egg yolks and the wet ingredients in one bowl, the dry ingredients in another, and whipping the egg whites in a third, before bringing all the components together to bake in a bundt pan. One good thing about this cake, is that it got me to practicing my folding technique. I always felt awkward folding egg whites or whatever into batter, but now, I think I've got it! My movements seemed more natural, fluid, and it went really well! Yay for me!


Maybe if I had made the glaze, I would have liked it better? Bah. Care to see what the other Sunday mornings Bakers thought of it? Click on through to the Baked Sunday Mornings for the blog roll, and the recipe.

15 comments:

  1. Love your bundt! Especially the shape - what kind/make of pan is that? Not that I need anymore... a good cake but seems to lack some "punch" I thought. I even added OJ - maybe the glaze will help! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, it looks pretty! mine is still in the oven...in a regular pan, so we'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color and shape of your bundt is so pretty! I'm sorry you were disappointed with this. My larger bundt cake is the same color as yours and I baked t for 50 minutes. We haven't tasted that one yet, so not sure if it is on the dry side or not. Try it with the glaze and see how you like it because it really moistens the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the shape of your bundt too! I wish I had baked mine a minute or two less, but still thought it was quite moist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked it and I thought the glaze really added to it. Yours looks beautiful. Sorry you didn't like it much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your ideas for serving the cake! So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tip on possibly taking it out of the oven a minute or so earlier. When I make this I'll keep that in mind. Your cake looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great comments everyone!

    @Mike - The pan is paderno... probably a walmart special :)
    @Bri - Just wanted to let you know that I did bake this longer than the recommended time in the book, as my oven runs slow...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your comment about how Baked recipes always result in a mountain of dirty dishes! TOO TRUE!!!

    I cooked mine for 45 minutes and it was the perfect amount of time. I would have been sad if I'd left it in any longer, even though my knife didn't come out clean when I tested it. And the "moist but dry" description is spot-on, too." I was wondering if that was a bundt cake thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd say to add some glaze and let it sit covered for a day...might add some moisture to your very pretty cake (which is already eaten). It does look a tad overbaked. It is so pretty and such a nice shape and photos well, but it does look a bit dry. But sometimes that's what ice cream is for...melts in a little and fixes dry baked goods in a flash. Anyway, glad your hubby liked it...that is quite important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad to read that I am not the only one who didn't totally love this cake... though everyone who tried it in my family did. Congrats on mastering your folding technique, and I am eager to see what you come up with next go around :) Oh, and I love how your pics pop off the black background!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bundt look deliciously beautiful, It is so pretty and I'm sure it is equally delicious. Thanks for dropping by at my site and I'm glad I found yours. Looking forward to trying some of yours wonderful recipes here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cake looks so pretty -- I'm sorry you didn't like it. I also didn't love it the first time around, because I thought the flavor was a little lacking. I think that the glaze, or at least some powdered sugar, is helpful to give the cake a little boost.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your pan also but I can't bring home any more. I am happy to say, I have enough.

    Your cake is certainly attractive and I am guessing, an orange glaze might make the difference for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, looks good! I have never tried olive oil in baking yet.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(