Wednesday, February 16, 2011

classic snack

My husband came home from work the other day and said that his coworker had gotten the best looking rice krispies square ever! So whenever I made marshmallows last week, he asked if I was going to make squares. And could I add mini marshmallows in them, like the coffee place does? With the valentine's day baking done, but still in the spirit, Cha and I grabbed a leftover box of holiday Rice Krispies and got rid of all the green ones to make V-day Rice Krispies squares. It took forever! And there was cereal everywhere! And although I didn't use homemade marshmallows, they turned out pretty good. It's pretty hard to mess up Rice Krispies squares!



Rice Krispies Squares
source: Kellogg's

1/4 cup margarine or butter
1 pkg (about 40) regular marshmallows or 5 cups miniature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
6 cups rice krispies cereal

Melt butter in large glass bowl in the microwave. Add marshmallows and stir until coated with butter, then return to microwave until completely melted stirring once in a while.
Stir in vanilla. Stir in rice krispies cereal until well coated. Using lightly buttered spatula, press into buttered 3.5 L (13 x 9") pan. Allow mixture to cool. Cut into bars. Best if served same day.

I used extra miniature marshmallows and folded them in after the cereal was coated in the melted marshmallows. I also made them in a 8x8 pan, so they would be nice and thick!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(