Sunday, January 13, 2013

banana fritters

So I had bananas ripening on the counter and was debating making banana muffins from the Bouchon Bakery book (awesome recipe, awesome book by the way), and these Banana Foster Fritters because they were on the Baked Sunday Mornings recipe schedule. Upon consultation with my husband, we decided to try something new, and went with the fritters.


Banana Fritters do not photograph very well. Or, I cannot photograph Banana Fritters very well. In my defense, I made them after dinner one night, when there was absolutely no natural light available. And I might have had the oil too high, and they might have looked a bit burnt on the outside. I even tried covering them with powdered sugar... yeah. Not pretty!


But they were easy. A simple matter of mixing wet ingredients with dry ingredients, and setting the mixture aside in the fridge while heating up oil. Or in my case, while going to the store to get oil, and getting it up to temperature.

There was a rum dipping sauce recipe to go along these fritters, but I went with a simple powdered sugar glaze instead. And I still don't have rum, so I didn't include it in the recipe. So the Banana Foster Fritters suddenly became simple glazed Banana Fritters.

Reviews were mixed. I enjoyed them still warm from the oil, but the next day, not so much. My husband did not like the banana flavor/texture, but would like me to try the same recipe with apples next time, as the donut texture was good. Another taster texted me that they were real (expletive) good after tasting them an hour or so after them being fried. So if you like banana flavored baked goods, I suggest trying this one. I mean, it's fried dough... hard not to like!

For the recipe and to see how the other bakers enjoyed these, visit the Baked Sunday Mornings blog!

11 comments:

  1. All of a sudden I'm hungry for monster cookies...

    The powdered sugar glaze looks yummy, but the dipping sauce is definitely worth trying next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your fritters photographed beautifully -- I love the big chunks of banana inside! The one downside of desserts like this is that you have to assemble a crowd to be able to eat them all while they're still warm. But as you point out, who can resist warm fried dough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these would be great with apple! My husband ate them leftover, and said he liked them. I'm not crazy about eating leftovers so didn't try. But the middle of yours is so picture-perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to try these with apples, too. These look great! You really must try the rum sauce - I could just drink it! LOL!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, with apples would be good. While frying these we were naming off all the kinds of fritters we like...corn was at the top of the list...and then we decided to make mac 'n cheese and bread some for frying later today...once you get frying, it's hard to stop. I don't think yours look bad...in fact that top photo is quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these would be awesome with apples...I know I would have enjoyed them much more if I had used apples. Love the way the glaze looks on the fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your photos are great! And the fritters look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. True, what's not to love about fried dough!! You fritters look great! I liked the glazed ones. Apples wouuld be really good too....like really good! I think the dough is a good base to try different flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you that the fritters were best warm. I struggle to take good photos with good light so night photos are the worst for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the first photo with the banana piece in the fritter. I also thought apples would be great with this recipe. In my opinion the rum dipping sauce elevated the fritters, you must try it if you ever make these again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, apple fritters would be awesome! I love the glaze idea, and I think your photos look great! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(