Sunday, February 12, 2012

chocolate whoopie pies

I was pretty excited to see the chocolate whoopie pies on this week's Baked Sunday Mornings schedule. In the fall I always make the pumpkin whoopies from the first Baked book, but I've never made any other kind. So I was happy to try the chocolate version.


Whoopie Pies are kinda like frosting sandwiched between two cupcake tops. Neater to eat than a cupcake, but not quite as cute. These are made with cocoa powder, espresso powder and coffee for flavor. No butter to soften, don't even need a mixer for this recipe. Just a couple of bowls... Well three, because it is after all, a Baked recipe. I first used a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop for my first batch, but they were really really too big, so switched over to a 2 tbsp measure for better proportioned cookies. Mine really didn't look like the picture, and although the description in the book said they were supposed to be super moist, mine were more like a cross between a cookie and a cupcake. Not as moist as I was expecting. Plus they looked nothing like the picture in the book. I must have screwed up somewhere.


I was actually expecting to to screw up the frosting, because I usually have issues with fancy buttercream, but the swiss meringue vanilla buttercream came together quite easily. It's not our favorite kind of frosting, as it's very, very buttery, but it was still nice. I used a pastry bag and a closed star tip to pipe a pretty border of frosting onto the cookies. I was going to roll the sides in pretty sprinkles, but decided they were cute enough on their own, plus I had gone through the trouble of using a pastry bag, didn't want to hide my cute piping job!


I brought the cookies to a work meeting and they were very well received. I joined Baked Sunday Mornings after the group made the red velvet whoopie pies last year, but they might be next on my list. Click on through to the Baked Sunday Mornings site for the recipe, and to see how the other bakers enjoyed this recipe!

10 comments:

  1. I loved your comment about all the bowls. That is certainly true of any Baked recipe--you're left with a sink of dishes. The filling you piped into these looks just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know what happened for you, but we thought these cookie parts were light as a feather. Maybe some dead baking powder or something? Anyway, they look nice and you do have very pretty frosting, which I do like, but in smaller quantities for this cookie than what I used...or I guess I like a more sugary flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine were not super light, but not heavy either. I love the frosting piping. It looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the piped filling, too! That is definitely a skill I need to learn. I've never made any kind of Whoopie Pie before so I had nothing to compare them to, but I thought these were great. I'm sure your co-workers were delighted to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I think yours are much prettier than the pic in the book! I think the piping really gives them a more sophisticated look! Actually, I rolled mine in sprinkles because I didn't like the edges. But yours are so simply pretty! Definitely going to pipe mine next time! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your filling looks really pretty! I was going to try that but chickened out at the last moment....:) I was doing dishes for awhile!!! That was a lot of bowls! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful, I agree - prettier than the book! Great idea to use a pastry tip for the filling. It's a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your piped filling is gorgeous! I was also disappointed that my cookies were not very tender -- but I am going to have to try the pumpkin whoopie pie recipe from the first book if you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never fancied whoopie pies, but gosh you make them look good!

    Sian
    www.domesticsluttery.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to attempt Whoopie pies, mainly because no one has ever requested them, and well, they tend to feel a little dry to me on the palate. If I do make them, you know I'm using your recipe. They look so moist and fudgy! And that cream...wow!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(