Sunday, May 15, 2011

morning glory muffins

Every time my daughter catches a cold, I feel guilty. Maybe, just maybe if I had gotten more veggies in her, her body would have fought back and she wouldn't be sick. But really, I should just blame my husband who caught the cold in the first place, and passed it on to her.

I had great plans for muffins this morning. They were going to be awesome! And totally empty of nutrients and vitamins and probably fiber too.  There's always tomorrow for those. But today, my daughter has a cold, therefore, I must feed her good things. So I made a modified version of morning glory muffins with what I had on hand. Downside is, she saw me make them and knows all the good things (read, stuff she doesn't eat willingly) that went into the batter, and is not so excited about eating them anymore. But they are her grand-papa's favorite, so, of course, they are her favorite too.


This recipe is adapted from a super old, scratch that, I just checked the copyright and it was published the year I was born, so not super old, but just old enough, recipe book called Muffin Mania, or La manie des muffins as I knew it growing up. For some reason, I have an English copy on my bookshelf. And it's in way better condition than the one we had growing up!

The original recipe calls for all purpose flour, 2 cups grated carrot, 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup nuts, and a cup of oil. My husband does not eat raisins, nuts are a no-no at school, and I only had 3 small carrots, so here's the recipe I used.



morning glory muffins

Into a large bowl, mix:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Stir in:
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated parsnip
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and grated

In a bowl, beat:
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 tsp vanilla

Stir into the flour mixture until batter is just combined. Spoon into muffin liners, filling to the top. Bake in a 350 oven, for 20 minutes. Makes 14 large muffins.


I'm happy that they turned out super yummy, even with all the healthy substitutions. All the fruits and veggies in the muffins kept them moist, even with the whole wheat flour. Charlotte happily eat them, and I'm happy she's ingesting vitamins! Cold be gone!

1 comment:

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(