Saturday, March 26, 2011

maple apple crisp

I've been craving apple crisp lately. I don't have a go-to recipe, so I don't make it very often. My mom used to have a typewriter-typed recipe on one of those filing cards in a box, but I think it was lost, and since then, some apple crisps, but not necessarily very good ones.



I had bought a bag of Empire apples at the store a while back, and thought I would use those, but I couldn't find them anywhere. I assume my husband has been eating them, even though he is an absolute Granny Smith type. So is my daughter. So the Emprire apples were gone, but a bag of sad looking Granny Smith remained. I guess that's why he's been eating the red ones.

I know that apple crisp is more of a fall dish, but whatever. I tried to make it more spring like by adding some maple flavors. I know for some maple is also a fall flavor, but here, where maple syrup is locally produced, it's definitely a March flavor. I never even consider using it in baking in the fall. On pancakes and stuff throughout the year, but not in baking.



Maple apple crisp

5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 envelope maple brown sugar flavored instant oatmeal
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp melted butter

1 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss sliced apples in lemon juice and maple syrup. Add flour and cinnamon, and toss so apples are evenly combined. Spread in a 8 or 9 inch baking dish.

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients, and drizzle with melted butter. Stir with a fork until mostly evenly coated with the butter. Place topping on the apples. Drizzle with melted butter and maple syrup. Bake for 45 minutes, until topping is golden and apples are tender.


Results were delicious! I like cooking with Granny Smith because the apples retain their shape, and don't go to mush. They were cooked through, but still a bit crisp. The topping was crumbly and tender, and the juices at the bottom of the dish, when spooned over the crisp after dishing out were spectacular! I might just be making apple crisp more often. This one is a keeper!

This was breakfast! I wish I had vanilla yogurt to top it, but it was still good plain! Can't wait to have some with vanilla ice cream as dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(