Wednesday, June 29, 2011

chocolate waffles

I think I started a dangerous trend. My daughter woke up and asked for a special breakfast because she was on vacation. I hope I won't be compelled to make a "special breakfast" everyday this summer! I sold her on popovers, but when I checked on the preheating oven, I saw that it was smoking like crazy. No popovers I guess! Good thing I hadn't started on the batter yet. So we settled on waffles instead. A quick search on the internet revealed yummy looking chocolate waffles over at Annie's Eats.



Chocolate waffles, whipped cream, strawberries and chocolate sauce. That screams special vacation breakfast! These chocolate waffles were great! The chocolate chips really drove the chocolate flavor home. To tell the truth, it kinda felt like we were having dessert for breakfast! Special indeed.

Chocolate Waffles
recipe adapted from Annie's Eats

Ingredients:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
3 large eggs, beaten
4 tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature (I used milk + 2 tbsp lemon juice)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat the waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk to blend. In another bowl combine the eggs, butter, vanilla and buttermilk. Whisk to blend well. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.

Fill the waffle iron with batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and completely cooked. Repeat until all the batter has been used. Serve immediately with fresh berries, whipped cream and chocolate syrup.


2 comments:

  1. Here they are -- the chocolate waffles of which you spoke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious !!!!!
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(