Wednesday, June 22, 2011

cap'n crunch cookies

It was my daughter's last day of school today. Sniff, sniff. This program was really the best thing for us. She was appropriately stimulated in the mornings, while I spent time with the baby, and generally got stuff done, and we got to spend the afternoon together. Really, I couldn't have asked for a better win win situation for us during my mat leave. But now, it comes to an end, and to mourn celebrate the end of the school year, I made cookies for her teacher.

She's been really fun to feed this year. She's not much of a baker, so she thinks that I have made skills in the kitchen. People like that are the best! She liked everything that I brought her, so I know that she's not picky, but I was trying to get her to give me a clue as to what kind of person she is (chocolate, vanilla, peanut butter, fruits, citrus, caramel...?). I couldn't get an answer from her when I asked her what kind of treat she wanted. She vaguely replied, anything, cupcakes are good, or cookies, anything really, but those last cookies you brought were really good...

So I made the grape nuts cookies again, but substituted the apples for chocolate chips. And I made a recipe I've had my eye on for a while...



cap'n crunch cookies
recipe inspired and adapted from Visions of Sugarplums

2 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal, divided
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cake flour

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Process 1 1/4 cups Cap'n Crunch in a food processor until finely ground.

Melt 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, until butter foams and turns light golden brown.

In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat together browned butter, 3/4 cups brown sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar until well combined and grainy - about 2 minutes. Beat in 1 tsp vanilla, 1 egg, 3/4 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt and beat an additional 2 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in the finely ground Capn Crunch and 1 cup cake flour until just combined. Process the remaining Cap'n Crunch, just enough to break them in smaller pieces. Stir them into the batter until combined.

Portion dough into 2-3 tbsp sized balls, and place on cookie sheet. Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes before transferring cookies to wire racks to cool.

Makes 18 cookies


These were sweet, sweet cookies. Like, you're going to eat just one, then need a glass of milk to wash it down. But then you're going to go and get another one, because it's just that good, and different. It's a super chewy cookie, but not like a chocolate chip cookie would be chewy. Different. Hard to describe. The top is not crisp, just firm. I put a piece of cereal on top of my cookies before baking so there would be a hint of the flavor to come, but I think next time, I'd roll the dough in crushed cereal for added texture and prettier presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(