Tuesday, February 15, 2011

holy waffles batman!


I've been baking waffles with a 10 dollar waffle iron for years. I'm no waffle expert. Before I ordered waffles for Cha at a diner a couple of years ago, the only waffles I had ever had (apart from the bad ones I made with the cheapy waffle iron) were frozen Eggo waffles. A while back, I remembered the thick waffles my mom used to buy in the bakery section of our grocery store, individually wrapped in plastic wrap and packaged in a clamshell. They had crusty little bits of sugar in them that made them so good. I tracked them down and had one. Not as good as I remember them being. With a bit of research I found out they were Liege waffles. I decided that I had to make some. That could not be achieved on a 10 dollar waffle iron. So I've been dropping hints about wanting a good waffle maker.

 Then my birthday came around. My husband presented me with a huge box that weighed about 30 pounds. For some reason it had the words waffle iron on it. My husband had bought me a 30 pound waffle iron! Have no clue where I'm going to store that thing while we're not using it!


I'm still researching 
Liege waffle recipes, but I couldn't wait any longer to try it! (And the fact that I had been up since 5:15 am with the baby gave me plenty of time to bake breakfast!) I made just a basic Betty Crocker recipe that didn't even call for separating eggs. I didn't even use butter because I was too lazy to melt it! (How lazy can you get?!) When I opened the lid, they looked amazing! So impressed! Evenly golden and crispy outside, and nice and tender inside. Dipped in local maple syrup, they tasted... well, like anything dipped in maple syrup would! But the texture! And the goldenness! We will find somewhere to stash the 30 pound waffle iron.


So next up, Liege waffles. There must be somewhere near here that sells pearl sugar!!! I really hope I won't have to pay insane shipping + duties to get it here from the states!

4 comments:

  1. Hi there. Thanks for visiting my space. Glad you did and I got to discover more amazing desserts and cakes here. Love the look of these waffles and your red velvet cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love Liege waffles and found these at Costco!
    http://www.juliansrecipe.com/products.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. where can I buy a 30 pound waffle iron?

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) kitchen aid, where small appliances are built like tanks :) http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/product/KPWB100OB/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(