Tuesday, February 22, 2011

baked alaska - is it really?

My mom's birthday is this weekend, and I'm having my parents and my brother and his wife over for brunch on Sunday. We're going to have waffles - buttermilk, belgian or liege, I haven't decided (UPDATE: I used this recipe, and it was awesome!) - scrambled eggs, mini pommes anna, bacon and fruit salad. For dessert, a Baked Alaska.

I know the Daring Bakers made Baked Alaska last summer, so I'm in the process of going through their posts for inspiration. They used a brown butter pound cake as a base. I'm debating what to do. And my mom is no help! When I asked what flavor she wanted, she's like, well, vanilla's fine, yeah vanilla... I was thinking of doing a s'mores thing, with some kind of graham cracker base, then chocolate ice cream and the meringue standing in for the toasted marshmallow. But then on a DB post I read, someone said they used to make a brownie base, vanilla ice cream and meringue... That sounds really good too. I remember my mom liking Almond Jamoca ice cream, so what? an almond sponge cake, vanilla ice cream with chocolate fudge swirl? But the last time we went to Baskin Robbins, she got Butter Pecan Praline... Arg! don't know what to do!

And  then, do I bake the thing, or torch it? I'm afraid of it melting like it happened to some Daring Bakers if I put it in the oven. But if I take the torch out, I'm afraid my daughter's going to want in on the action, and we'll burn down the house trying to prevent her from coming too close.

At least, I'm pretty sure that I've decided to make individual desserts as opposed to a big one that I would have to slice. If I did, the chances of the meringue sliding off are... pretty high. Ah well, I still have a few days to make up my mind about the other things.

UPDATE: Here's the Baked Alaska that I ended up baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read what you think. Or just say hi! Happy to know someone is reading me :) sorry about the word verification... too much spam :(